Monday, September 5, 2011

A Refuge from the Storm

Found this little place to live.  Or maybe I should say it found me.  I had been shown several places to live, all of which horrified me.  I decided that I wouldn't be able to stay here if I had to live in any of those places or anything like them.  I then found this little apartment near the Bay of Bengal.   It just felt right.



One of the two bedrooms

  The kitchen.  Yes, it's pink and purple.  The two daughters of the owners got to choose the colors.  I can't really explain it, but it works.

The temple that I see from the little porch in front of the apartment.  It's cool, but every morning at 6:00 they bang on a gong about 20 times.  Why haven't the neighbors complained is my question.  I'm tempted to ask them how they can advocate peace while waking everyone up at 6:00 am.


The living room.


Another view of the living room.  That's my refrigerator, in the living room.  It's not such a bad idea really.



A second bedroom with its own bathroom.


The little porch that has doors to the bedroom and kitchen.  Luckily there is wire enclosing the porch.  Otherwise the group of very angry crows that hangs out in the trees there would have me for lunch.  I try to talk to them, but it just pisses them off even more.



One of the two bathrooms.  When you go into the bathroom, you are essentially standing in the shower. The whole thing is the shower.

Despite it being a bit weird and wacky by American standards, I find it warm and comfy.  The owners are kind and helpful, and the neighbors invited me in for tea a few days ago.  Milk gets delivered to the door, and a washer woman offered to clean and do my wash yesterday.  I'm not sure I'll get used to living in such a different environment, but at least I can find some refuge here from the chaos outside.